Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Christian World View

So my class got me thinking, what is the...Christian World View...
Our teacher told us you can categorize what someones World View is by asking three questions...Who are we? What is wrong with the world? How do we fix it.
So to start he was talking about Who are we? (being who are Christians). And frankly I was kind of frustrated, because my answer was "Followers of Christ", and he was like, "Noo, not what I am looking for." So anyway he writes on the board, "Created in the Image of God". Which is not wrong, we were. But so were the Jews, and heck even Muslims would say they were... although they would say Allah. So I don't feel like that categorizes Christians. Christians believe in Jesus Christ and that he came to the World to save us... which is much different then just being created in the image of God.
It was just really interesting to listen to in class... it's like, hum, how are we viewed, what do others see us as? Anyway, to answer the other two questions; What is wrong with the world? (According to Christians again)... SIN. How do we fix it? Jesus. Really, just interesting...
Anyway... have you ever put any thought into Grace and Mercy? Do you even know the difference between Grace and Mercy?
Heres a little trick I learned to separate Grace and Mercy...
Grace is getting what you don't deserve. i.e. SALVATION!! (saved by Grace)
Mercy is not getting what you do deserve. i.e. Your mom showed you Mercy when she didn't ground you for drawing with permanent marker on her new leather couch... Ok silly example. But God definitely shows us Mercy everyday.
I think sometime we don't think about the how much Mercy God shows us, and how much Grace is given. I am personally thankful, God is so willing to give us his love, this love that we are so undeserving of. This Salvation that we are so undeserving of. I for one am thankful that God shows grace. I am so glad that God shows Mercy, can you imagine if God held all our sins against us? We never get what we do deserve. Thank Goodness. I encourage you to read up on both of these subjects...some verses on Grace; Luke 15:11-31, Romans 5, Ephesians 2. Mercy; Psalm 108:8-12, Psalm 123, Luke 1:46-79, Romans 9:15-18.
And maybe the next time you are "begging for Mercy" from someone, maybe thank God for the Mercy he shows and the Grace he gives.
A little food for thought from me today. I do encourage you to go look up both words, read up on them, it really helps you understand how even more amazing God is.

0 comments: